Thursday, April 16, 2009

Finally Settled In

After 5 days of settling in and making his new herd feel like "home" I think it is safe to say Fred is fully adjusted. We went for a ride today in the arena and he was perfect and very understanding of me trying to figure him out. Like we had guessed before, Fred has definitely been shown, but what we didn't know was how extensively he was shown. He is 5 gaited, which in itself takes about 18 months of professional training just to get showable. He sets his head quite naturally and uses his hind legs very well. And I am beginning to figure out his cues to rack (completely foreign to me) and I love it! Although we are doing pretty much nothing except walking and a little racking (his preferred gait) he tries so hard to do everything I ask of him. Mom is convinced he was a champion show horse (as she puts it), we will never know but he sure has the pride of one.

It seems everytime I go out and spend some time with him I discover what might be a little part of his past. The other day when I was currying him I noticed a good size scar right down the middle of his belly, very old but noticeable. The more I curried, and the more winter coat that came off, the more prominent it became. Almost reminds me of a scar from a colic surgery, if it is, someone really cared enough about him to invest thousands of dollars in an unpredictable surgery.

He is really taking a liking to Fox and yesterday they actually shared a mutual pile of hay, which is a HUGE step for Fox in the acceptance department. He has also slowed down his eating, but still thoroughly enjoys his T&A hay. The Vet is coming out tomorrow to float his teeth, and give him a checkup. Hopefully all is well!

No pictures today but next time I saddle him up (maybe for a trail ride?) I will definitely snap a few!

No comments:

Post a Comment